Monday, November 23, 2009

West German Santa - SOLD

Uh-oh. I didn't mean for things to get so Christmassy! I sincerely apologize - especially to my friend (whose name rhymes with "lawn") who can't even stand saying the "C" word until a week before the event. But I'm the artist-of-the-month at the Grimsby Gallery Gift Shop for December and I thought it would be nice to have some daily pieces that related to the holiday season. So I have decided to do a series on the man-in-red.
My dad is a collector of St. Nicholas figures and likenesses. His collection is upwards of 600. It's pretty cool. There are Santa's of all sorts: antique, kitchy, retro, somber and jolly. I went there the other day and picked a number I'd like to paint this week.
Here's what I can tell you about this one. It was made in West Germany in the early 1900s and purchased at an antique store at the wharf in Seattle. It's 2 1/2" high.
6" x 6" / oil on panel / $65

4 comments:

mrTravisDurksen said...

i really like this one kim! :)
its looks really cool even though its just a simple santa, and its definitely getting me in the mood for christmas!

Art by Katalin said...

oh wow! what a collection that could be! i guess you can always find inspiration for a St Nicholas picture out of 600 figures! ;)
I really like this one you did..it kind of reminds me of the garden dwarf I used to play with when I was a child..of course it's no wonder as it is originated from Germany...and I think it's called here as German dwarf.

It's too early for me too to think about Christmas...but congrats to your gallery gift shop display! I'll have to go and check it out!:)

Anonymous said...

I forgive you.

Shelly Sargent said...

Um... I think anonymous's name might rhyme with "lawn". lol!