Thursday, September 29, 2011

ART LOVE: Pollard Birches by Vincent van Gogh

by Vincent van Gogh, 1884, pen-and-ink and graphite heightened with opaque watercolor on wove paper, 151/2 x 213/8. Collection Van Gogh Museum, Amsterdam, the Netherlands.

I came across this drawing in the book I got: Vincent van Gogh: A Self-Portrait in Art and Letters edited by H. Anna Suh. This book is large (about 10.5" x 13") and has gorgeous reproductions (although not such a fan of the cover). van Gogh's letters are reproduced in image form and also translated to English. Seeing his original letters - most often with exquisite sketches embedded in them - is a real treat. You almost feel like you're going through his mail, quite personal, and just seeing his path through his artistic struggles - it's so interesting.  Anyway, back to this particular drawing: it stopped me in my tracks and I think I stared at it for a good 5 mintues. To me it's one of the most beautiful sketches in the world. Especially for a tree girl.
p.s. I re-worked my cupcake and the new version is now posted. The height and curve of the stem, along with the cast shadow were not sitting right with me. I feel better now ; )

4 comments:

Frances said...

Wonderful and one I have never seen....it reminds me of a Durer drawing. Thanks again by the way for the great workshop.

Celeste Bergin said...

I have never seen that Van Gogh drawing.....wow!

Art by Katalin said...

this is truly amazing....(and I'm a tree girl too ;)

Randall David Tipton said...

I`m with you Kim. His drawings are so passionate and skillful!