Monday, September 26, 2011

Experimentation and wood supports

Today I went at a large canvas that used to be a tree in a snowscape. I'd painted it a few years back and although some people liked it, I felt it was too stiff and modeled and didn't fit in with my other work. I re-worked it numerous times hoping something cool would emerge but...nada. This is what came of it today so it will probably get gessoed over tomorrow. Sometimes after you re-work so much it just feels tired and wrecked. I feel like there is a new painting waiting somewhere in that canvas, ready to come out.
Beneath the pictures are photos of the wood canvas box support I mentioned the other day. Kelley asked me what the heck I was talking about - I think I could have come up with a better description - so here they are : )

5 comments:

Janie B said...

Ooh...I love this tree on orange. That background is all swirly and fiery looking. Hope you don't paint over it. Maybe you will see it with new eyes tomorrow.

martinealison said...

Pourquoi ne pas y ajouter une série de petits oiseaux ?...
Mais j'ai hâte de découvrir ce que votre ressenti décidera... sans aucune influence...
Gros bisous

Barbara Muir said...

I hope you don't do anything with this painting Kim. It's awesome. I opened this up and just sat transfixed. Then of course I wondered why we are so incredibly hard on ourselves. Please leave it.

XO Barbara

Debra said...

I think it's fabulous Kim...love the colours!!!

Stephanie Berry said...

Did you varnish the wood panel first or seal it somehow?? Lately I've noticed the paintings I give up on; I cover them loosely with some bold color then dive in feeling I have nothing to lose and end up with a favorite. I didn't know you could gesso over paint?