Thursday, December 15, 2011

The St. Nicholas Collection ~ No.3

Superstar Santa by Kim Rempel / acrylic on canvas
Painting No.3. Okay my dear viewers: this one is easy-peasy and it was fun to create. I spread acrylic gel on to a photocopied image and pressed it down on painted canvas. When it dried I took a sponge and gently rubbed to wash away the paper. What was left was the greyish image you see on the painting. Then I went in with solid colour and painted the hat, sleeve and glasses. It was the quickest way with the supplies I had on hand to figure out how to mimic the artists process.
If you're new to this, the blurb below explains it all. Join at any time!
This painting is from a series on how I imagined modern masters would have portrayed St. Nicholas had they been commissioned to paint his portrait. When I exhibit this series I run it as an interactive show. I have a sheet that people can fill out with the titles running down one side and the painters down another. Viewers are invited to guess which artist inspired each piece. One winner is drawn from all correct answers and they receive a gift. It's fun. And if anyone is ever interested in showing it, email me and we'll set it up! I thought it would be fun to play online. This is the third of ten. The title holds a clue. You can answer back in the "Comments" section and I will draw one winner from everyone who correctly answers all ten. And I will send a gift, cause hey - it's a Christmas game! Feel free to tell your friends and have them play along!

Artists: Vincent vanGogh, Andy Warhol, Gustav Klimt, Marc Chagall, Emily Carr, Frieda Kahlo, Paul Gauguin, Jackson Pollock, Rene Magritte, Piet Mondrian

8 comments:

Virginia Floyd said...

I am loving your series! Even I knew this one. Wonderful job!

Crystal Cook said...

Sweet Warhol Santa! :) Love the way he's peeking over his shades.

Nicki said...

Andy Warhol... no question.

It's a really cool painting, Kim. I researched and tried the photo transfer idea for the IWC! project, but it was way too time consuming removing the paper, so I had to go to Plan B- collage.

Sandra Busby said...

Yes - Andy Warhol for sure :0)

JanettMarie said...

Oh, Oh, Oh! I have to try this process!
Do you think Andy Warhol uses this process too?

Debbie Shirley said...

Very clever! Sounds like a process I will have to give a try. Very Warhol!

CHRIS MURRAY said...

Warhol-did Ray pose for this?

Barbara Muir said...

Andy St. Nick Warhol. Super work.

Merry, Merry,

XO Barbara