Monday, April 2, 2012

Work in progress + plein air can be hazardous to your health

...if you are a bee. More on that at the end of the post.
Today was finally a beautiful sunny day (after SNOW on Friday) with minimal wind. So out I went to continue work on the tree painting I began a couple of weeks ago. I still have more to do but here it is so far. What a great day to be outside!
 A bee - attracted to the bright colours of paint I assume - landed on my palette, smack in the middle of a wet blob of paint. Paint got on its wings and legs. It looked pretty weighed down and was having trouble flying off the palette. So I held a twig to it's legs which it crawled up on and transported it to a forsythia bush.
Here's a picture of said bee decked out with some cad red and titanium white. Good luck little bee!

12 comments:

jennifer woodburn said...

wow, this is going to be a spectacular painting when it is done (it already is now!).

Sonya Johnson said...

What a wonderful tree - painting looks great as is, even! I just love how you handled the branches, and boy, I can tell how challenging they must have been to block in.

martinealison said...

Je suis déjà amoureuse de votre arbre...
Je souris en admirant vos photos et en vous lisant... Cette petite abeille voulait devenir peintre... Elle avait juste à côté d'elle un excellent professeur.
Gros bisous

Judy said...

Oh poor bee! I love your tree!

Ralph said...

Marvelous and the little bee will be just fine. I still so love that abstract.

Kathy Cousart said...

Am really loving this tree painting- perspective is amazing and the brushwork is great! Sorry for little bee:)

Brenda L. Murray said...

I LOVE this painting! LOVE LOVE LOVE it! I'm very jealous! Sigh :-)

Missed you yesterday. Hopefully we'll see you in a few weeks.

Cheers,
Brenda

Patricia MacDonald said...

fantastic tree. you are on a a great painting 'roll'. is it hard to sleep these days?

daybe said...

Maybe this bee will be the envy of all his friends, sporting some fresh new colour.

Great painting, I meant to comment and your last set of Abstract work, really think they are great and maybe you are on to something.

Cheers

Barbara Muir said...

Great painting. Poor bee.

XO Barbara

Nora MacPhail said...

Remarkable tree painting! I know how difficult they are. You've inspired me to get out there and do some tree studies.
Your art work is awesome.

David Larson Evans said...

Really enjoyed reading your blog today and the art is magnificent